Nutrition Matters – November 2020
If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal with seasonal flavor, look no further. This one pan meal is perfect for the midweek madness and is so simple the kids can get involved. Substitute ground turkey for ground beef to achieve a leaner meat option. Add cheese for additional flavor or other vegetable of your choice (not represented in the nutrition information listed below. Cabbage is currently in season in North Carolina. Check out your local Farmer’s Market or grocery store as prices are typically lower when in season. Don’t forget to use your SNAP dollars.
Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1/2 pound ground beef (90 percent lean)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, low-sodium (16 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (or tomato juice)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup minute rice (brown)
- 1 cabbage head (small to medium, chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- Brown ground beef in a skillet with onion and garlic. Drain off fat.
- Place meat in a large pot and add water, tomatoes, tomato sauce (or juice), and cabbage. Cook until cabbage is almost tender.
- Add minute rice and cook for five minutes. Serve.
For additional foods, health, and nutrition information contact Shelina Bonner, Family and Consumer sciences Agent, North Carolina Cooperative Extension –Greene County Center at (252) 747-5831.