Nutrition Matters – December 2018
The holiday season brings thoughts of family, friends, fun and food. However, each year millions of Americans struggle to maintain their waistlines during the holidays while surrounded by tempting treats. Consider the following healthy tips to enjoy all your holiday parties while also staying in control of your eating.
- Do not leave the house on an empty stomach – this promotes over eating.
- Make socializing your top priority; conversation will keep you occupied and away from the food table.
- Abstain from or limit your drinking, as alcohol increases hunger and lowers willpower.
- Reduce your portion sizes and stop eating when you feel satisfied rather than stuffed.
- If you are the one hosting a holiday event, use this to your advantage. Substitute high fat or calorie laden ingredients with more healthy choices.
Remember the holidays are no time to abandon your healthy habits or feel pressured to eat and drink more than usual. Make sure you get plenty of sleep, exercise and plan your meals ahead of time.
For additional foods, health and nutrition information, contact Shelina Bonner, Family and Consumer Sciences Agent, North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Greene County Center at (252) 747-5831.